Occupational Therapy upper limb rehabilitation post stroke
Our specialist upper limb rehabilitation service is geared towards patients who are experiencing ongoing dysfunction in their upper limb following a stroke. Depending on the level of impairment treatment will focus on management, strengthening and/or neuro re-training of the affected upper limb to allow the patient to maximise their rehabilitation potential and engagement in their desired tasks.
On initial appointment patient will be assessed and goals will be set. Depending on the level of impairment treatment will focus on the following:
- Tone management and onward referral for medical management (medication, botox) as required
- Advise regarding proper positioning of the affected upper limb to ensure joint integrity (A referral for on site hand therapy specialist for custom made personalised splint possible if indicated)
- Sensory re-education, range of motion, strengthening and neuro- retraining
- Adjunct modalities such as FES and taping
- Education/ training in adaptive techniques to maximise independence
- Provision of individualized home exercise programme
Treatment is carried out by a specialized occupational therapist in private and fully equipped treatment areas. We follow the national guidelines to ensure high quality care to achieve best possible outcomes.
OT domiciliary service
Our occupational therapy home visit service is geared towards people who struggle to engage in their daily activities in their home environment due to a decrease in their functional mobility and ability to carry daily tasks.
We provide a comprehensive assessment of your functional ability with the aim of helping you to manage safely in your home environment while continuing to engage in your desired activities.
The service will include:
- An initial interview to discuss concerns, difficulties and barriers to function
- A functional assessment with a review of your home environment
- Recommendation for required adaptive equipment, minor home adaptations and /or alternative techniques for engaging in activities.
- Discussion of care needs and carers training when appropriate
- Referrals to private/community services such as falls groups and individual physiotherapy if appropriate
- A comprehensive report which will include a summary of the assessment findings, recommendations and advice.
- Liaison with your local community equipment services to arrange provision of equipment and/or provision of information regarding private equipment retailers.
- A follow –up visit if indicated
Your assessment will be carried out by a highly experienced specialist occupational therapist using an individualized and holistic approach.
The assessment will be conducted in your home at your convenient time with no
Waiting lists and you will be seen within seven days of referral.